Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life Lessons

Today, J.R. was up and out the door before the sun even bothered to make an appearance. He was taking his portable Lucas Sawmill to Southern Minnesota to work on job. I tried to call him once at 8 am when Brody and I rolled out of bed, but my WiFi calling on my cell phone wasn't cooperating and a very impatient little boy was demanding breakfast.

After breakfast Brody and I spent the morning playing peek-a-boo and coloring. Well, I was coloring... Brody was eating the crayons and making horrible faces.

Life lesson #92: Crayons taste like shit.

After a number of Crayons had their tips bitten off I simply told Brody that "it's OK, some lessons take a little longer to learn than others," and with that the box of Crayons returned to the safety of the desk drawer.

Before long it was time for lunch. Lunch blended into nap time, nap time to snack time, snack time to dinner, and poof! The day was over.

I no more than got Brody all snuggled into bed when my cell phone rang.

"Hey hun, how was your day sawing?" I asked the hubs.

"Ugh, I'm so sorry. I was thirty miles from cell phone service and I just didn't have any signal all day...."

He was frantically spitting out an apology when I stopped him....

"ummm, I didn't call you all day. I was fine. Brody was fine. We never called you. It didn't matter that you were out of cell phone service."

"Oh.................. you didn't?"

"Nope. Not once."

Life Lesson #121: It's always good to make your spouse feel important and loved.

And with that I reminded myself, "it's OK, some lessons take a little longer to learn than others."

2 comments:

  1. My husband, father, and brother go out west every year to go snowmobiling every year. Before they make it up the Snowy Mountains, I always get one last call from Jake. We say "love you" and a few other things then we do not talk for about 12 days. Not talking for that many days never bother me and I don't know why because I feel like it should.
    I really like getting out of cell phone range because I feel like that is the only place left on earth where I can just chill and not be bothered. My grandparents farm in rural Minnesota is out of cell phone range and that is my Paradise. If I ever disappear, thats probably where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how men always need to feel needed. they act so tough all the time but truth is they really have easy feelings to hurt. I'm not married or anything but i've had a boyfriend for close to two years and sometimes i feel like they are more sensitive then we are! It's really kind of funny if you think about it but i agree that it's important to keep them happy and well loved. I have to call my dad now that i'm in college at least two times a day or he feels like i'm forgetting about it. It's like okay dad you know i have a terrible memory and if i forget to call you once in the evening i swear it's not because i dont love you its because i inherited mom's horrible remembering skills. I mean guys complain about how sensitive we are about stuff, but i swear its all them.

    ReplyDelete