Sunday, October 30, 2011

Groceries

I sent the husband to the grocery store with a list of items I needed.

Yes, I know, this is already sounding like a train wreck.

My list started off with just a few simple things that I needed in order to finish off my corn chowder. Red/yellow/orange bell peppers, milk, and green onions.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it....

I need yeast so I can make a fresh batch of bread, we're out of chocolate chips, the eggs are low, I could use a bag of carrots, and some thyme.

And that was just my rough draft.

Yes, I had a rough draft of my grocery list. (Hi, I'm Josie. I'm addicted to writing beautiful lists.)

The final copy looked something like this....

2% milk
Eggs
colby jack cheese
pepperjack cheese

yeast (the red jar. Red Star - Active Dry Yeast)
chocolate chips

red/yellow peppers (3)
onions
green onions
carrots
thyme

Now note, these items have been grouped to the section of the store they belong too. I even included specific details about what kind of yeast I needed. The plan was fool proof!

Then the phone calls started coming in. The first three were no big deal. Then J.R. got to the produce section.

"They don't have green onions."

"Did you check by the carrots and celery? They're usually refrigerated."

"I'm looking at all the onions right now. There are red onions, yellow onions, white onions... no green ones. Aren't they called something else?"

"Yes, a scallion."

"If they're a scallion then why are you calling them green onions? Doesn't matter, they don't have them..."

"Right, but did you check the fridges?... and scallion-schmallion. It's a cultural preference to say green onion."

(I muttered something under my breath about high class snobs and their fancy words for green onions.. pretty sure J.R. missed that completely in his frantic search of the produce section)

"They don't have green onions!"

"Screw the green onions! Forget them!"

I'm going to the store tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll have green onions.

He made it back from the store and managed to get everything on my list - with the exception of my green onions, of course. He did well, and I'm grateful that he picked the items up for me. In addition to my needed items, he bought a huge bag of cheese curds and an additional block of smokey cheddar cheese. And instead of just purchasing one bag of chocolate chips, he purchased six.

Cookies, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Six bags - oh my. My daughters use to call me frequently to ask me where things were in their grocery stores. Now mind you, I do not live anywhere near them so I am not at all familiar with their grocery stores but should still know what isle to find things in. They have both gotten much wiser or else just frustrated with my ignorance of their grocery store's layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a GREAT chocolate chip cookie recipe you can use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. six bags! I love it! One cannot have too many bags of cookies...especially with winter coming on. Crumbled, they might make a fun pie crust.

    ReplyDelete