Monday, November 28, 2011

We Will Always Have the Memories

Two weeks of bad news.

It started with the news that a competitor from the Lumberjack community passed away suddenly. He left behind a wife and two young children. While I didn't know David well, my husband and his family did - and seeing your loved ones deal with emotional pain is misery.

David's death was followed by my Great Grandmother's passing on Thanksgiving day. She was 93. She lived a full life, her mind was still very sharp, and she stayed pretty active for someone aged 93. She hadn't been sick, or in pain. Her body just said, "time is up." I don't believe she suffered in her passing and she was surrounded by loved ones when she went.

Her funeral was today. I wasn't able to attend because of the distance, but I hope my family knows they were in my thoughts today.

And finally, the news I have been struggling with the most, my friend's mother passed away today after a lengthy battle with cancer. I did not know her well, but I hurt for my friends who are dealing with the loss of their mother/mother-in-law. Last week I had a lengthy discussion with my girl friend about the process of death and how the family was dealing. The entire conversation I was weeping in my rocking chair, all with the hopes that she would not hear this on her end of the line. The idea of loosing my own mother was painful, but putting myself in the position of the Mother saying goodbye to her children was unbearable.

I can only hope that there is peace to be found in knowing that her battle is over and she's no longer in pain. In the mean time, my phone is readily available and my ears are open. If that's not enough, the wine fridge is stocked and my home has plenty of spare beds.

While the passing of these three people has been emotional, it has been a solid reminder that we are lucky to have the time we have. I may grumble about my homework, the fever I've been running all day, or the dishes in the sink, but I have a lot to be thankful for....

Especially that adorable little boy who is fast asleep, butt in the air, dreaming the night away.

3 comments:

  1. to begin, im sorry for all of your losses. As they say these things come in threes. I've gone through deaths as anyone has but your friends mom dying especially touched me. Almost a year ago now one of my bestfriends mom died of an aneurysm unexpectedly. The situation was extremely hard for everyone involved. One, because her mom was like a mom to me too and i was crushed by how someone could be so vital and alive one day and gone the next. The second reason was that she died so fast, usually people have time to cope and come to terms with the fact that someone is going to pass away. However, her mom went into a coma in one day and held on for a week before they pulled the feeding tube and let her die. The third reason it struck me so hard is that my friend was only a senior in high school and even me imagining her life so young without her mother was terrible. Her mom didn't live to see her daughter graduate high school and get accepted into college and she'll miss every other milestone there after. It also made me realize that no matter how indestructible we think our parents are, there not. Some day too they will leave us. My friend is strong though and has moved on with her life, with her other best friend whose parents died in a motorcycle accident. Although i feel terrible that they have lost their parents i'm glad they have each other for support and for knowing what the other is going through. Life moves on and the passed away stay with us, of this i am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the losses you have recently suffered. This blog made me realize how fortunate I am to be alive and healthy, and to still have those whom I hold closest to my heart. I also hope that your feeling better from being sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly sorry for your losses, Josie.
    RPL, Soldiers Angels

    ReplyDelete