Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Answer the Phone!

I have a new annoyance in my life... trying to schedule a hair appointment.

The salon my hair stylist moved to is relatively small and just getting up and running. The inside is modern and relaxing and it's a quiet salon with just a few stylist. It's an Aveda salon, so it's not cheap to get a cut and color. While I love that it's small, it has it's disadvantages - like the fact that they don't have a receptionist.

I've tried to call and schedule and appointment a number of times now, but I'm always taken to the voicemail system. I'm sorry, I'm suppose to leave you a message so that we can play phone tag to set up an appointment? Or so that you can call me back when it's convenient for you, which will inevitably be during nap time. I think if you wake up my napping child that should automatically provide me with a free hair cut.

Not only is it exceptionally annoying to not be able to schedule an appointment, but when I'm getting my hair cut and colored I don't care for my stylist to be running back and forth answering a ringing phone. I want all of her attention on my head so that I can get in and out as quickly as possible.

As I was grumbling to a friend about this, she mentioned that I can't forget the cost of a receptionist and pointed out that this would, without a doubt, increase the cost of my appointment. Fine. Add another 5 bucks on. If that means I can schedule an appointment and talk to a person when I have time, I'm OK with that.

So what do you think.. am I being unnecessarily grumpy (or snobby?), or should the salon have a receptionist?

7 comments:

  1. I don't think that you are being unnecessarily grumpy or snobby - They should have a receptionist - at least during the 'busy' hours.

    Also, I completely agree with you in terms of it being annoying that the stylist is running back and forth while doing your hair to answer the phone - how much focus can they really have on your hair if they are busy answering the phone all the time.

    I also, would not mind paying a bit more to have the ability to not have to call multiple times or to play phone tag with the stylist to schedule an appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a right to feel the way you do about this situation. They're a business and if they don't have a receptionist (or someone who calls you back right away), there's a problem.

    I went to salon a while back that had a terrible problem with answering the phone. They would call me back hours later after I made an appointment somewhere else. I'm not going to sit around and wait for someone to call me back when I desperately need a haircut.

    In college, we don't have the time to get our haircut when we want to. We do it when we absolutely need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at a salon where we did not have a receptionist, even during busy hours. It was hard to do hair, then answer the phone, then go back to what you were doing. Usually we took turns on answering the phone. That doesn't excuse your stylist for not answering ever. I wouldn't leave a message either to book an appointment... Someone should always pick up. The salon you are talking about will soon find out how bad that is for their business to let the answering machine always pick up. It is frustrating when you are playing phone tag with your stylist, but what I hate more is finding a new stylist...
    I hope you get your appointment to get your hair done! Its so relaxing to go and just have that time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They should have on line scheduling if they don't have a receptionist. I would definitely be going elsewhere. Otherwise you would have to book your next appt. when you get your hair done, but I can never plan my hair stuff that far out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree wholeheartedly. My salon is Aveda also, and decided to nix having a receptionist. Very frustrating. I don't have time for phone tag, nor do I want the stylist leaving during a cut/color to answer a phone. Unfortunatly it's the way businesses are serving these days-streamlined and lean. Less service for customers all the way around. Ugh. I won't give up on this salon as they do fantastic work and the Aveda products are wonderful. Amy T has a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salon I used to go to was the same way. They did not have a receptionist. It was sooo annoying. They started this thing where they had you call then connect directly to their room. It sounds like a good idea except when they don't answer your call.. or call you back even if you left a message. It really bothered me. Then after I was actually able to make an appointment and I was getting my hair done.. my stylist actually answered her phone while she was doing my hair and had a fricken conversation! I think steam comes out of my ears when she does this. I like the online idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They should have a receptionist! Oh no, they cannot just let disappointed customers walk away, or be disappointed with them in the first place. Having a receptionist is a part of quality customer service. Hopefully they already managed this problem of theirs.

    ReplyDelete