Monday, November 14, 2011

The Very Hungry Germ Catcher

Here is a picture of our summer garden.



Tonight's dinner has made me realize that I need to double the size of this baby next year.

My 15 month old son ate two cups of pasta, a quarter cup of broccoli, and two ego waffles. Don't forget the giant cup of milk he washed it all down with.

If a 15 month old can consume more food than I can, what on earth am I going to do when he reaches 14?

And so I've decided, next summer the garden expands and I spend even more time slaving away in the kitchen canning and freezing the harvest. Either that or I win a million dollars so I can afford to buy all of the wholesome foods I believe in feeding my child.

In other news.....

Daycare is sending home the plague with my child, and my very hungry germ catcher seems to find it sweet to share with me.

It all started the weekend of Halloween. Brody came home running a fever and had a snotty nose. I snuggled him up like any loving Mom and let him sneeze, snot, and cough all over me. He felt fine after a day or so. A few days later I noticed I was really tired, but that's normal when you're trying to be Super Mom, right?

Thursday morning came around and I woke up with what I thought were canker sores in my mouth. By Friday morning my mouth was COVERED in blisters. Painful. Then they started showing up on my hands. Could it be, do I have hand, foot, and mouth disease?

According to the Dr. I saw that just wasn't possible. The blisters were TOTALLY different and the dots on my hands were from dry skin. Never mind the spots on my feet that were starting to develop and looked just like the spots on my hands. Adults just simply do not get blisters with hand foot and mouth.

WRONG!

By the end of the weekend my body was covered in blisters. My mouth, my hands, my feet - even my ankles, elbows, shoulders were developing dots. A trip to urgent care the morning of my birthday would confirm - hand, foot, and mouth.

Turns out, Brody's daycare was having an outbreak of the virus and my little germ catcher was nice enough to pass it on to me. While he never developed the blisters, I was lucky to be the one random adult that developed them. Apparently when adults do develop blisters, they spread all over the body and don't stay contained to the hands, feet, and mouth. Oh, and hot water makes them worse just in case you ever need to know.

It was a lovely way to spend my 25th birthday. Sitting in urgent care with blisters covering my body.

So there you have it. Teaching your children how to share is dangerous to your health, but oh so worth all of the hugs and kisses they so lovingly give you.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely picture. Please post again around the end of February when we all start to think warm weather will never come again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is lovely. There's something special about growing your own food!

    ReplyDelete