Thursday, September 22, 2011

Multitasking

My son has an obsession with the bathroom. Particularly, the bath tub. Say the word "bath" in front of my child and you better be prepared to follow up with tub time. He loves trying to catch the water as it comes pouring from the faucet, but recently he has discovered how to blow bubbles in the tub water. He's still working on sorting out the whole "don't drink the tub water after the soap has been added." I'm sure in time he'll sort that all out, but until then, I'm going to keep laughing at the horrible faces he makes after drinking the soapy water. I'm aware that my reaction puts me in the category of "Evil Mom."

While I do enjoy the funny faces he makes out of disgust, the simple fact that my son can take such enjoyment in splashing water, blowing bubbles, and swimming in the tub is enough to remind me that it's the little things in life that count.

After a particularly long day, I decided to take a lesson from my son and enjoy the simple pleasures of a bath. I informed my husband that he was in charge and locked myself in the bathroom with high anticipation of quiet. Scorching hot water, lavender bubble bath, a big glass of sangria, and a fresh bottle of nail polish meant I was ready to relax. I threw in a rubber ducky just for kicks.

Simplicity for the win!

One deep sigh as I sank into the water when the quiet was broken by a man rambling on and on about smart things - like Plato and the solar system. Back to reality. I'm a college student... with a one year old, and a job, and a dog, and a husband, and laundry, and floors that need to be cleaned! I don't have time to be taking a bath and enjoying a glass of wine, but my tired body just needed twenty minutes to relax.

The only solution I could find was to create the ultimate multitasking environment that would allow me to relax while becoming a genius at the same time. It's like the obnoxious
commercial that tells you you can go to school in your pajamas. From the comfort of your own home. In your fluffy slippers. With your hair and makeup done...... Right.

While I sat in the tub, painting my nails, drinking my wine juice (I would never drink in class), and listening to my lecture, I realized that the most important thing I can do in my future career is realize that the people I will be writing for live lives just like mine - overwhelmingly busy with very little free time to use reading my prose. To be a successful communicator, I will need to find the most effective way to communicate information that allows my readers to fulfill their needs while the hustle and bustle of life continues around them.

And here I thought bath time was just for relaxtion.



3 comments:

  1. Multitasking, it is always hard to do but I admire that you are finding ways to relax. Sometimes we let they school, stress of family and everything else catch up to us and we forget to make time for that relaxation or just a few minuets to stop the scurrying. It is good to find your bliss and be able to relax.

    ReplyDelete