Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Introductions

I recently read an article about the percentage of college freshman who change their major. Why anyone would find that 50% of college students change their major in the course of their college career shocking, is beyond me. With the exception of my best friend who has ALWAYS known she has wanted to be a Doctor (she's in Podiatry school - someday she will be able to repair my feet that I've damaged wearing heels every.single.day. #winning!), nobody I know has actually grown up to be an astronaut like they dreamed at the age of 5.

Most high schools students start feeling the pressure to decide what they want to do professionally, and where they want to attend college, around their junior year. I was 15 starting my Junior year. My main concerns dealt more with picking the best flavor combination of chapstick and lipgloss (I recommend strawberry lipsmackers with a pineapple gloss over it), than it did picking a career.

At 17 I began my education as a music education major. I made it a semester. Young love interfered and I ran off and got hitched at 19. Our marriage became an extreme test of stubborn love thanks to Operation Iraqi Freedom, and we dealt with more challenging moments in our first year of marriage than most people deal with in 50 years of committed bliss. That, however, is another story. You can read about that here.

THIS story is about my current life as a new mother, a college student, and a wife of a wounded warrior. Simplicity, Interrupted seeks to investigate the new ways we communicate with each other, especially in the intimate family setting. How have new technologies changed the way we interact with our children, our spouses, and our friends? Why are these changes important? And perhaps my biggest wonder: How have these new technologies simplified my life?

5 comments:

  1. I like your first post and LOVE your "about me." So creative. Excited to read about your life via blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One new technology has made it so much easier to communicate with family and friends, Facebook. Facebook has definitely helped me build a great relationship with my cousin. Sadly, we never would have talked on the phone or emailed back and forth just for the heck of it, but thanks to Facebook we chat at least once or twice a week. Without Facebook I wouldn't have a great relationship with my cousin from a distance. Love you Josie! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even your best friend changed her mind on which type of doctor she wanted to be. In third grade she wanted to be a neurosurgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait - you left MSU for young love?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you really need identification for the above comment?

    ReplyDelete